Facts about Limes
Limes are little, oval citrus with smooth and porous skin. The color
of lime ranges from medium to light green, often having a minor
yellow cast. Lemons and limes look alike, but limes are green and
Lime plants are thorny, evergreen shrubs that get to a height of
15-20 feet. Leaves of lime are small, light green, and oval in
shape. Flowers of lime are white and fragrant, measured at
approximately an inch in diameter.
You may find 2 major varieties of limes, Key (Mexican) and
- The big, green, seedless limes seen in supermarkets are the
or Persian Limes (Citrus latifolia). The variety is a crossbreed
produced in the beginning of 20th century. The Persian Lime is
bigger compared to Key Lime, more immune to pests and diseases, and
contains a thicker peel. They are harvested slightly unripe; when
they are green in color (the fruit becomes yellow once completely
ripen, and can be mistaken with lemons).
- Key Limes, meanwhile, are small, slightly bigger than a walnut, oval
and having a thin yellowish skin. Key Limes are fragrant and
extremely juicy, having a stronger and more acidic taste compared to
Persian Limes. The trees are 7-8 feet in height, shrubby, thorny and
crooked, with glossy green leaves.
Both Key and Persian Limes contain a higher citric acid and sugar
level than lemons, with Key limes higher in acid level compared to
Health Benefits of Limes
Limes are abundant with loads of health
- Have a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice an hour before mealtime to
- Apply a sliced lime on the burning foot, heel or sole to ease pain
and eliminate toxin via the pores of your feet.
- The powerful anti-viral properties of lime can eliminate cholera
bacilli in just a very short time. Consume one part lime juice with
one part drinking water on a regular basis, especially throughout an
- The lime has anti-viral properties that fight infections and stop
the advancement of a common cold. Have the fresh juice of two limes
in 500 ml of warm water and add honey to taste. Drink it before
going to bed.
- Consume a glass of warm drinking water in morning hours together
with some lime juice and honey. Mix in a little cinnamon powder.
This helps your body detoxify and ease constipation.
- The lime juice offers incredible digestive properties that are akin
to our enzymes. Therefore it helps with digestive function and
reduce bloating and belching.
- Immediately after a tough day on both of your feet, bathe them in
really warm water with the lime juice to take pleasure from the
cooling, astringent sensation. This may also promote deep sleep as a
result of relaxing activity of the nerves of your feet.
- Consume a glass of lime juice together with a little sea salt to
ease the pain due to swollen gums. Make use of the albedo (the
white-colored matter in the peel) of the squeezed lime and
subsequently apply on the gum area.
- Include 2 teaspoon of pure lime juice in a glass of warm drinking
water and sip to ease heartburn.
- While the lime juice are sour, it is in fact extremely alkalinizing
in your body and is impressive in the therapy for inflammatory
disorders such as sciatica, arthritis and rheumatism. It also helps
prevent the accumulation of uric acid in your body tissues, thereby
lowering the potential risks of gout.
- Rub the rind of a lime on dry skin to revive softness and improve
moisture of your skin.
- Blend one part lime juice with another part drinking water. Gargle
regularly and experience the soothing feeling on your throat. You
can also include a little sea salt for better result.
Lime Calories and Nutritional Values
Nutritional Value of 1
Fruit (67.0 g)
How to Choose and Store Limes?
- The rind of the lime has to be in light yellow and finely grained,
just like leather.
- Refrain from choosing limes with signs of decay, mold or having
brown spots. Do not purchase if the rind of the lime becomes hard or
How to Store Limes?
- Store limes at 40-45°F for no more than 2 weeks.
- Frozen lime juice keeps for about 2-3 months.
- Bottled lime juice can be purchased with ease. However the quality
is not as good as the fresh one.