How to Make Vegetable
- 300 g (10 oz) pumpkin
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup / 185 g / 6 oz cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 16 sheets filo pastry
- 1/3 cup / 35 g / 1 1/4 oz dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Cut the pumpkin, carrots, parsnip and celery into thick matchsticks
about 2.5 mm / 1/8 inch wide and 5 cm / 2 inches long.
- Heat the sesame oil in a heavy-based pan or wok. Add in the onion
and ginger and stir-fry, tossing well until brown, over the medium
- Add in the pumpkin, carrot and parsnip, toss well and cook for 1
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of water all over the vegetables, cover and
steam for another minute.
- Add in the celery, sherry and lemon rind, toss and cook for 1
minute. Cover again and let steam for about 1 minute, or until the
vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in the cooked rice and the plum, chili and soy sauces. Set
aside for about 20 minutes to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Remove two sheets of filo pastry, keeping the remaining pastry
covered with a damp tea towel. Place one sheet on top of the other,
carefully brush the edges lightly with a little water, then scatter
some breadcrumbs over the pastry.
- Top with another 2 sheets of pastry, fold over the edges to make a 2
cm / 3/4 inch border and brush lightly with a little water. Press
the edges down gently with your fingertips to make the parcel easier
- Place one-quarter of the filling about 5 cm / 2 inches from the
short end, then firmly roll into a parcel to encase the filling,
ensuring that the seam is underneath. Repeat with the remaining
- Brush the tops very lightly with butter, cut 3 slashes across the
top of each and scatter any remaining breadcrumbs and the sesame
seeds over the top.
- Arrange on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes,
or until crisp and golden. Serve immediately, drizzled with sweet
Nutrition per serving:
- 530 kcalories, protein 15 g, fat 8 g, carbohydrate 95 g, dietary
fiber 7 g, cholesterol 3 mg