How to Make Stuffed Eggplants?
- 1/3 cup / 60 g / 2 oz brown lentils
- 2 large eggplants
- cooking oil spray
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup / 40 g / 1 1/4 oz pine nuts, toasted
- 440 g / 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup / 140 g / 4 1/2 oz cooked short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Simmer the brown lentils in a pan of water for 25 minutes, or until
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh,
leaving a 1 cm / 1/2 inch shell. Chop the flesh finely.
- Spray a deep, large non-stick frying pan with oil. Add in 1
tablespoon water to the pan, then add in the onion and garlic and
stir until softened.
- Add in the cooked lentils to the pan with the bell pepper, pine
nuts, tomato, rice and eggplant flesh. Stir over medium heat for 10
minutes, or until the eggplant has softened.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and parsley. Season, then toss until
- Cook the eggplant shells in boiling water for 4-5 minutes, or until
tender, or microwave on High (100%) for 8 minutes.
- Spoon the filling into the eggplant shells and sprinkle with the
Parmesan. Grill for 5-10 minutes, or until golden. Serve
Nutrition per serving:
- 355 kcalories, protein 15 g, fat 10 g, carbohydrate 50 g, dietary
fiber 8.5 g, cholesterol 9.5 mg