How to Make Spinach Pie?
- 1.5 kg / 3 lb English spinach
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 750 g / 1 1/2 lb reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup / 15 g / 1/2 oz chopped fresh mint
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 30 g / 1 oz butter, melted
- 1/2 cup / 40 g / 1 1/4 oz fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Lightly spray a square 1.5 liter
/ 6 cups capacity ovenproof dish with oil.
- Trim and wash the spinach, then place in a large pan. Cover and cook
for 2-3 minutes, until the spinach is just wilted. Drain, cool then
squeeze dry and chop.
- Heat the oil in a small pan. Add in the onion and spring onion and
cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Combine in a bowl with the
- Stir in the cottage cheese, egg, garlic, nutmeg and mint. Season and
- Brush a sheet of filo pastry with a little butter. Fold in half
widthways and line the base and sides of the dish. Repeat with 3
more sheets. Keep the unused sheets moist by covering with a damp
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the pastry. Spread the filling into
the dish. Fold over any overlapping pastry. Brush and fold another
sheet and place on top. Repeat with 3 more sheets. Tuck the pastry
in at the sides.
- Brush the top of the pastry with any remaining butter. Score squares
or diamonds on top using a sharp knife. Bake for 40 minutes, or
until golden. Cut into squares to serve.
Nutrition per serving:
- 360 kcalories, protein 35 g, fat 10 g, carbohydrate 30 g, dietary
fiber 8 g, cholesterol 75 mg