How to Make Roast
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large potato
- 400 g / 13 oz pumpkin
- 200 g / 6 1/2 oz orange sweet potato
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 red capsicum
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups / 155 g / 5 oz plain flour
- 40 g / 1 1/4 oz butter
- 45 g / 1 1/2 oz ricotta
- 1 cup / 250 ml / 8 fl oz skim milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup / 30 g / 1 oz reduced-fat Cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Lightly spray a 3.5 cm / 1 1/4
inch deep, 23 cm / 9 inch diameter loose-based flan pan with oil.
- Cut the potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, parsnips and capsicum into
bite-sized chunks, then place in a baking dish with the onion and
garlic. Drizzle with the oil. Season and bake for 1 hour, or until
tender. Leave to cool.
- Mix the flour, butter and ricotta in a food processor, then
gradually add up to 3 tablespoons of the milk, enough to form a soft
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather
together into a smooth ball. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface, then ease into the
pan, bringing it gently up the side. Trim the edge and refrigerate
for another 10 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C / 400°F. Cover the pastry
with crumpled baking paper and fill with baking beads or uncooked
- Bake the pastry for 10 minutes, remove the beads or rice and paper,
then bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place the vegetables in the pastry base and pour in the combined
remaining milk, eggs, cheese and basil.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C / 350°F and bake for 1 hour 10
minutes, or until set in the centre. Leave for 5 minutes before
removing from the pan to serve.
Nutrition per serving:
- 345 kcalories, protein 15 g, fat 10 g, carbohydrate 45 g, dietary
fiber 5 g, cholesterol 115 mg