How to Make Penne with
Meatballs in Tomato Sauce?
- 500 g / 1 lb lean veal mince
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 cup / 80 g / 2 3/4 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup / 30 g / 1 oz finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- cooking oil spray
- 1.5 kg / 3 lb ripe tomatoes
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup / 125 g / 4 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 350 g / 12 oz penne
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the veal mince, half the garlic, chopped
onion, breadcrumbs, egg white, 1 tablespoon of the oregano and
two-thirds of the parsley. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Using your hands, combine the mixture until well mixed, then shape
into 36 meatballs balls.
- Spray the base of a large non-stick frying pan lightly with the oil.
Place in 12 meatballs and cook over high heat for approximately 5
minutes, turning frequently. Make sure they turn brown all round.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan, then repeat the steps with the
remaining meatballs in two batches.
- In the base of each tomato, score a cross, then put in a heatproof
bowl. Pour in some boiling water until the tomatoes are just
- Leave the tomatoes until their skins start to come away. Drain and
plunge into a bowl of iced water. Peel the skin and roughly chop the
- Spray the base of a large, non-stick, deep saucepan lightly with the
oil. Add the in the remaining garlic and sliced onion. then cook
over low heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons water over. Cover and continue to cook for
approximately 4 minutes. Make sure the onions become soft.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes with the tomato paste. Cover with lid
and let simmering for about 8-10 minutes. Open the cover and
continue to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Add in the meatballs. Cover again and allow to simmer for about 18
minutes. Make sure the meatballs are just cooked.
- Stir in the remaining parsley, oregano and the sugar. Season once
more with the salt and pepper.
- In a separated large pan, prepare some rapidly boiling salted water.
Place the penne in the pan and cook until al dente; drain.
- Divide the penne into individual serving plates. Top with the hot
meatballs and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving:
- 315 kcalories, protein 15 g, fat 7 g, carbohydrate 58 g, dietary
fiber 8 g, cholesterol 55 mg