How to Make Pears in Dark
- 6 beurre bosc (or any firm) pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups / 500 ml / 8 fl oz dark grape juice
- 2 cups / 500 ml / 8 fl oz blackcurrant juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 4 cloves
- 350 g / 12 oz black grapes
- 1 cup / 250 g / 8 oz low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Core and peel the pears, leaving the stalks on. Place the pears in a
bowl filled with cold water and the lemon juice, to prevent
- Place the grape and blackcurrant juices, sherry and cloves in a
saucepan large enough to hold the pears.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook
for approximately 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the heat
and leave the pears to cool in the syrup.
- Transfer the pears and syrup to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- To serve, strain the syrup into a pan, bring to a boil, then reduce
to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes, or until reduced by about
- Cool slightly, place a pear on each plate and pour syrup over the
pears. Arrange the grapes next to the pears.
- Just before serving, mix the yoghurt, cinnamon and honey and spoon
over the pears or serve on the side.
Nutrition per serving:
- 390 kcalories, protein 4 g, fat 0 g, carbohydrate 95 g, dietary
fiber 4 g, cholesterol 2 mg