How to Make Almond and
- 4 beurre bosc pears
- 1/4 cup / 60 g / 2 oz caster sugar
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml / 2 fl oz white wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 dates, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 2/3 cup / 85 g / 3 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup / 250 ml / 8 fl oz skim milk
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons flaked almonds
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
For strawberry sauce:
- 125 g / 4 oz strawberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Use a melon baller to remove the cores of the pears, then peel the
- In a pan with the size just fit the pears, mix 2 cups / 500 ml / 16
fl oz water with the sugar, wine, cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Cut the vanilla bean lengthways in half, then remove the seeds. Add
in to the pan together with the vanilla pod. Using medium heat, stir
until the sugar dissolves.
- Add in the pears, cover and let simmering for 20 minutes. Make sure
the pears are just soft when they are tested with a skewer.
- Remove from the heat. Let cool in the syrup, then drain. Carefully
stand the pears on paper towels. Fill each base with the dates and
- To prepare the crepes, sift the flour into a bowl. Beat in the egg
and milk together. Continue to beat until smooth. Strain into a jug
and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F. Spray a 24 cm / 9 1/2 inch
non-stick pan lightly with oil, then heat the pan.
- Swirl in a quarter of the batter, covering the base of the pan. Cook
until slightly browned, then turn and cook another side till browned
as well. Repeat the step with the remaining mixture.
- Put the crepes on a work bench, then put a quarter of the combined
ground almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon in the center of each and
top with a pear.
- Gather the crepes around the pears and tie with string. Sprinkle
with the flaked almonds.
- Bake on a lightly oiled baking tray for 5 minutes, or until the
almonds and the edges of the crepes are golden and the pears just
warm. Discard the string.
- To make the strawberry sauce, blend the strawberries, sugar and
orange juice in a blender until smooth, then strain.
- Dust the pear pouches with a little icing sugar and serve with
strawberry sauce. For a special effect, you can tie a piece of
raffia or ribbon around each pouch before serving.
Nutrition per serving:
- 410 kcalories, protein 9 g, fat 7 g, carbohydrate 80 g, dietary
fiber 7 g, cholesterol 45 mg