How to Make Lasagne?
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250 g / 1/2 lb lean beef mince
- 400 g (13 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml / 2 fl oz beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 185 g / 6 oz instant or fresh lasagne sheets
For cheese sauce:
- 1/6 cup / 20 g / 5/8 oz cornflour
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml / 12 fl oz skim milk
- 50 g / 1 3/4 oz reduced-fat cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add in the onion and cook for 4 minutes until soft.
- Add in the carrot, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring constantly,
for 4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the beef mince. Cook while stirring over the high heat until
it becomes well browned. Break up any lumps of meat with a wooden
- Add in the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste and dried oregano to
the pan. Stir until well combined. Bring the mixture to the boil,
then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes,
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C / 350°F.
- Spread a little of the meat sauce into the base of a 12.5 x 24-cm /
5 x 9 1/2-inch ovenproof dish.
- Arrange a layer of lasagne sheets in the dish, breaking some of the
sheets to fit in neatly.
- Spread half the meat sauce over the top to cover evenly. Cover with
another layer of lasagne sheets, a layer of meat sauce, then a final
layer of lasagne sheets.
- To prepare the cheese sauce, blend a little of the milk with the
cornflour in a small pan to form a smooth paste.
- Gradually blend in the remaining milk and stir constantly over low
heat until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the grated cheese until
melted. Spread evenly over the top of the lasagne and bake for 1
- Check the lasagne after 20 minutes. If the top is browning too
quickly, cover loosely with non-stick baking paper or foil.
- Be careful when removing the baking paper or foil that the topping
does not come away with the paper.
- To serve, cut the lasagne into four portions and garnish with fresh
Nutrition per serving:
- 440 kcalories, protein 13 g, fat 11 g, carbohydrate 48 g, dietary
fiber 5 g, cholesterol 9 mg