How to Make Chicken Fried Steaks?
- 4 x 4-oz boneless beef chuck top-blade steaks
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Kansas City steak seasoning
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Kansas City steak seasoning
- black pepper
- Trim excessive fat from the steaks. Place each steak between 2
pieces of plastic wrap and pound lightly with the flat side of a
meat mallet until 1/2 inch thick, then remove plastic wrap.
- In a shallow dish, combine the 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon steak
seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In another shallow dish, combine the egg and the 2 tablespoons milk.
- Place the crushed cornflakes in a third shallow dish.
- Dip the steaks into the flour mixture, turning to coat evenly. Dip
into the egg mixture, then into the cornflakes, turning to coat
- Coat a very large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat
the skillet over the medium-high heat.
- Add in the steaks to the skillet. Cook for approximately 10-12
minutes for medium-rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning
once halfway through cooking. If the steaks brown to quickly, reduce
the heat to medium. Remove the steak from the skillet. Cover to keep
- To prepare the gravy, heat the butter in the same skillet over the
medium heat until melted. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for
about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender.
If desired, add in the bourbon, stirring to scrape up any crusty
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 3/4 cup milk, the 1 tablespoon
flour and the 1/4 teaspoon steak seasoning until smooth. Add in the
milk mixture all at once to the onion mixture. Cook and stir until
thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Serve steaks with the gravy. Sprinkle with the black pepper.
Nutrition per serving:
- 315 kcalories, fat 10 g, cholesterol 80 mg, sodium 400 mg,
carbohydrate 20 g, dietary fiber 1 g