How to Make Chicken and
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 of a medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chicken thigh, skinned
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 recipe Cornmeal Dumplings
- In a 2-quart slow cooker, combine the carrots celery, corn, onion,
garlic, rosemary and pepper. Top with the chicken. Pour the broth
over the mixture in the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or on high-heat
setting for 4 hours.
- If using low heat, turn to the high heat. Transfer the chicken to a
cutting board, allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle,
cut the chicken off bones. Discard the bones. Chop the chicken and
return to the mixture in the cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and flour until smooth. Stir into
the mixture in the cooker.
- Using two spoons, drop the cornmeal dumplings dough into four mounds
on top of the hot chicken mixture. Cover and cook for 25 minutes
more. Make sure a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out
- To prepare the cornmeal dumplings, stir together 1/4 cup all-purpose
flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and dash salt.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 egg white, 1 tablespoons fat-free milk
and 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add in the egg mixture to the flour
mixture, then stir just until moistened.
Nutrition per serving:
- 370 kcalories, fat 10 g, cholesterol 55 mg, sodium 580 mg,
carbohydrate 45 g, dietary fiber 5 g