How to Make Beer, Chickpea and Pork Stew?
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 800 g / 13 oz lean diced pork, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 cup / 250 ml / 8 fl oz chicken stock
- 1 cup / 250 ml / 8 fl oz beer
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 x 310 g / 10 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the cinnamon, cumin, coriander and chili together in a dry
frying pan over low heat, shaking the pan, for 1 1/2 minutes, or
- Combine the pork with the spices in a plastic bag. Add in the flour
and toss well. Remove the pork and shake off excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over high heat. Cook the
pork, tossing regularly, for 12 minutes. Make sure the pork is
- Add in the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and half the stock to the
pan and toss well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the remaining stock, beer and tomato, and season to taste
with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat, cover with a
tight-fitting lid, then simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hour. Shake
the pan occasionally.
- Stir in the chickpeas and fresh parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 8
minutes and serve.
Nutrition per serving:
- 400 kcalories, protein 38 g, fat 9 g, carbohydrate 33 g, dietary
fiber 14 g, cholesterol 45 mg