Facts About Ugli Fruit
The ugli fruit has quite a few names -- Unique Fruit, Uniq Fruit,
and the more popular name, Ugli Fruit. Ugli fruit is called after
its physical appearance that is typically odd-shaped, pot-marked and
discolored. However, the fruit gets a poor rap; it definitely has an
extremely sweet, citrus flavor, can be peeled very easily and is
particularly seedless, which makes it an excellent snack or add-on
to salads. The exterior of ugli fruit features greenish-yellow color
and a shape resembles a pear and an orange. Ugli fruit is indigenous
to Jamaica and was spread in the US during the 1930s. The fruit is
believed to mix the best features of grapefruit, Seville oranges and
tangerines. Kids enjoy the flavor as well as its intriguing name.
Health Benefits of Eating Ugli Fruit
- The yellow pigment in the flesh and skin of ugli fruit provides the
flavonoids quercetin or bioflavonoids and rutin. All these phenols
are strong antioxidants that help counteract free radicals that
cause chronic disease.
- Loaded with vitamin C (another powerful antioxidant), folic acid and
dietary fiber, this hybrid fruit improves, heals and helps promote
gastrointestinal health. It is also helpful in maintaining
- Besides large vitamin C content, the uniq fruit has very similar
nutritional value to various other citrus fruits but with a
significant difference -- oddly enough, furanocoumarins that are
commonly present in grapefruit (which most doctors think may
interfere with certain medicines) cannot be found in the uniq fruit.
Furthermore, the uniq fruit is apparently more palatable if you have
a strong dislike to oranges.
- The unique fruit pulp has been applied on skin to make it fair.
- Ugli fruit also features benefit of being anti-allergic and
at the same time help manage blood pressure.
Ugli Fruit Calories and Nutritional Value
Nutritional Value of 1 fruit or 5 oz
How to Choose and Buy Ugli Fruit?
- Pick fruits which are heavy with no drying at the ends.
- The uniq fruit should give with little pressure just like
- Color does not matter when picking. Minor dents and pot marks are
How to Store Ugli Fruit?
- The unique fruit may be kept at room temperature for approximately
4-5 days, or in the fridge for as many as 14 days.
- Do not cook the uniq fruit or it is going to lose its taste.
Ugli Fruit Recipes
As the ugli fruit is not suitable for cooking, below is a salad
recipe with ugli fruit:
Ugli Fruit Salad with Dressing
1 curly endive (small)
50 g / 2 oz lambs lettuce (mache)
1 radicchio (small)
1 Ugli Fruit (small), peeled, cut into segments
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons white wine
1 garlic clove, crushed
ground black pepper
Mix all the fruit and vegetables together and organize in a bowl. In
a screw-top jar, mix all the dressing ingredients. Season to taste.
Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well and serve.